Wednesday, January 3, 2018

Red-shouldered Hawk in the American River Parkway, Sacramento, California


I, Bob, photographed this red-shouldered hawk perched in a tree along the American River in Sacramento, California.  The red shoulder patches that give it its name are not visible from this angle.  This guy stayed perched on this spot for a long time allowing me to try shots from different angles and from progressively closer distances, until I was able to get this shot from my closest approach.  This picture was taken in December, so the tree had shed its leaves for the season and made it easier to see him on his perch.  Not long after this shot, the hawk flew to another nearby perch.  I went looking for him again and realized that I had gone past him and turned around to get more pictures.  Apparently this hawk had had enough of me by then and soon flew almost at me missing me by just a few feet just right of overhead and continued on to another tree perch.

Red-shouldered hawks live mainly along riverside forests and other moist deciduous forests and hunt from perches like in this photo.

I took this photo with a Canon EOS 70D with a Canon 100-400 mm lens.

If you enjoy this and other photos in our Robinson Twins online photo gallery, please Follow us.

Remember it's not just a photo, it's a story.

No comments:

Post a Comment